Friday, November 7, 2008

Eight

Kate
We took the bus over the the Salvation Army to get provisions for the party. Marcus came with us, a fact Alice was extremely pleased about.
“So you’re being Bowie? That fucking rocks, Alice.”
“What are you being?”
“I don’t know, maybe Richard Hell from Television.”
“Oh, cool.” I responded. I loved Television. “But you should be some sort of bad-ass punk guy. Like early punk, brit-punk.”
“Ohhh, word. I can just wear my regular clothes.” We all looked at his patched jeans, leather jacket and combat boots.
“Hmm…That’ll cut down on costs.”
“No I got it!” Alice exclaimed as we exited the bus. “Let’s be the New York Dolls!”
“Oh my god, yes.” I agreed.
“I am so down.” Marcus added.
We all sifted through the racks of clothes, holding up anything pleather, leopard or shiny. I felt so at ease with these two. I really hoped Alice would start dating him, so I could hang out with him all the time. he pulled me aside by the platform shoes, and looked at me in the eyes.
“I picked up a flyer for you.” he pulled out the GSA flyer. “And I think the boy behind the booth flirted with me. But I’ll go with you tomorrow if you want.” I felt a surge of appreciation and gratitude for him. I pulled him into a hug, and said thanks.
“Alice is coming too. So there’s a straight girl for you.”
“I’m kind of getting a friend vibe from her, honestly.”
“Oh.” I wouldn’t tell her that. I just knew if he got to know her, he’d like her.
We left the store with myriad scarves, vests and pleather pants. I knew we would look awesome. As we arrived back at campus, Marcus turned to go to his dorm.
“Want to come over to put makeup on later, Marcus?” Alice asked. I could tell she just wanted to see him again.
“Yeah, I’ll come over in an hour or so after I get dinner.”
“Yeah, sounds good.” I hugged him good bye, again smelling the leather of his jacket and his shampoo. I had such genuine liking for him, I didn’t even mind the physical contact with a boy. He hugged Alice too, a fact she would probably gloat about over dinner. I pulled out my cell.
“Ok, I’m calling Ellen.” My hands shook slightly. I pressed the call button and breathed deep.
“Hey, Katie.” I didn’t even mind that dreaded nickname when she said it in her adorable baby voice.
“Hey, we just got our costumes, what are you up to?”
“Setting up for the party. So you guys are coming?” She sounded excited, and I was too.
“Yes, we are indeed. Wait til you see us.”
“I bet you’ll look hot.” I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at it like it was a foreign object. Was I being flirted with?
“You’ll just have to wait and see.”
“Mhmm.”
“Uhm, ok, I’m going to go, but I’ll talk to you later.”
“Bye, see you soon.”
“Dude,” I turned to Alice, “I think she hit on me.”
“Yeahhhhh girl. Go on with your hot self.” Alice feigned a ghetto accent.
“Don’t do that.”
“Shut the fuck up.” She shoved my shoulder, harder than necessary. I slapped her butt in response, and we started a fake tussle. I got her in a headlock, and people near us started staring.
“Uncle, uncle!” she called out.
“I win!” I triumphantly announced to a terrified girl next to us. She scurried away and Alice and I broke into laughter.
“We are such fucking freaks to these people.” Alice was doubled over in laughter.
“Or to everyone.” I pointed out.
“Truth.”
“Let’s go get dressed up!” I was excited about the promise of the evening.
“Oh man, we should get dressed and then go get dinner.”
“Ha, perfect.” I grabbed Alice’s hand and pulled her toward the dorms.
We spread out all our purchases on my bed, picking and choosing outfits from the tangle of clothing. I selected red leather pants, a tight shiny black best and a bunch of scares to put around my neck. Alice had tapered leopard pants and a metallic purple top. As we were dancing around, there was a knock on our door. I flung it open, mid-shimmy. A shocked Melanie faced me.
“Uhm, are you guys going to dinner?” she said slowly.
“Hell yes we are!” Alice yelled.
“Okay. Want to come with?” she looked hesitant.
I threw on my new platform boots and we headed out. She looked horrified to be sitting with us. We all chewed on some really terrible chicken dish in silence.
“Why are you, you know, dressed like that?” she looked around, noticing all the stares our way.
“Costume party.” I said with my mouth full. She stared at me blankly.
“We’re the New York Dolls.” Alice offered.
“The what?”
Inwardly, I sighed. She was so clueless. We all finished up, tossing our half-eaten food away.
“Kate!” I turned when I heard my name called out. A girl I had met last night, Jess, rushed up to us.
“Too funny! I take it you’re going to the party?” she laughed at us.
“Yes indeed.” Alice said, fake serious.
“Who’s this?” she nodded to Melanie.
“Uhm, our floor mate, Melanie.”
“What’s up?” she looked at Melanie.
“Oh, nothing. I like your tattoos.” Jess had a whole sleeve of tattoos up and down her arm.
“Thanks, they hurt like a bitch. Are you coming to the party?”
“Ummm, I don’t know. Can I come?” she looked at us with wide eyes.
“Yeah sure.” Alice answered, hesitant.
“We have extra costumes, Mel.” I added.
“Oh my gosh, thanks!” she was back to her normal self it seemed.
“Ok, let’s go get you ready.”
We met up with Marcus back at the dorm and did the obligatory Melanie introductions. I was kind of disappointed to have her trailing around behind us, but she seemed to really like us for some reason.
“You should cut you hair.” Alice was playing with it, holding parts up and pinning them in a crazy style.
“Really?” Melanie said breathlessly.
“Yeah, bangs and stuff. I could do it if you want.”
“Ok!” she was so excited about everything.
“I’m getting the scissors, you better be serious.” She warned.
“Do it!”
Alice measured carefully, and cut blunt bangs right across Melanie’s small face. the change was immediate. She looked prettier, and edgy.
“Wow.” Marcus said, looking up at her. “You look dope.”
“You really do.” I added.
“Ohmigosh, thank you Alice!”
“Any time.”

No comments: