Friday, November 7, 2008

Twelve

Kate
I sat on my bed restlessly, waiting for Alice to come in. I figured she stayed at Blanche’s but when she didn’t answer her phone, I got worried. Had she gone home with someone? That was not like my Alice. But I guess it might be like College Alice, whoever the fuck that was. I packed a bowl absently, then let it sit on my dresser, without smoking it. Around eleven the door finally creaked open.
“Where the fuck have you been?” Alice was wearing unfamiliar clothes, boys clothes. They made her look small and vulnerable, hanging off her skinny frame.
“Out. Whatever.” she rolled her eyes. She looked like shit warmed up, all pale and sunken eyed.
“I’m sick of this whatever bullshit. Tell me what happened.”
“I went home with this senior named Steve.” she seemed to perk up a little, and sat on my bed next to me. “he was really cool and we…you know.”
“You did? Your first one night stand!” I shook her hand, congratulating. Who was I to judge? She seemed ok about it.
“Yeah, I know right?” she smiled, relaxing, our previous tensions easing a little.
“Celebratory bowl pack?” I presented the piece to her, brandishing it like a prize. She lit it up, pulling the smoke up into her mouth.
“So Ellen?” she exhaled, creating a ghost-like cloud in front of her face.
“Nothing happened, but it will I think.” I said, quietly, a smile creeping over my lips. I took my hit and passed it back.
“You think?”
“I couldn’t last night, I know it sounds stupid, but I want to get to know her. Not be rash or whatever.” she passed the piece back over to me.
“So you want her to be your girlfriend?”
“No, I just don’t want things to be awkward with everyone. What if we stop talking, then what‘ll happen to Marcus and Blanche and Jess and everyone?”
“Good call! You’re so love smart for a lesbian newbie.” she blew smoke directly into my face. I fake coughed, making a small scene. She laughed and stuck her tongue out at me.
“Speaking of gay stuff, are you cool to go to the GSA thing tonight?”
“Uhm, I will if Blanche wants to.”
“Marcus is coming with me, so you don’t need to go…” I trailed off.
“Oh, okay, great because Blanche and I were going to…” she stopped, and started again, “Come with you guys.” I could tell that wasn’t her original plan, but the disappointment must have showed on my face and changed her mind.
“Thanks. I really need you there, best friend.”
“And I will really be there, best gay friend.”
“You’re my best slut friend now, Ms. One night stand.”
“Proud of it. Sort of.”
“Was it good?”
“I honestly have no idea.” I burst out laughing, and tackled her into my pillows. She hit me on the head with one, and we continued wrestling til she was sitting on my chest, tickling me. It felt just like old times in her basement, and all my previous anger was forgotten for the moment.
“I am starving, Alice. Can we go downtown and grab lunch. I’m buying, daddy sent me a check.”
“Sounds good to me. Where are we going?”
“Mexican!”
“Ole?” she laughed at me outburst.
“We need to discuss your new sex life and my future sex life over nachos.”
“Mmm sex and nachos.”
“See?”
“You’re so right.” she got up and began to change into normal clothes, shedding the shirt and pants which smelled distinctly like boy. I pulled my tangled hair into a sloppy ponytail, twisting impatiently the locks which were turning into dreads and looking in the mirror. I tried to picture what Ellen saw when she looked at me, but all I saw was my slightly hungover self with makeup smeared under my eyes. Hot, I thought to myself, I am so hot. I wiped my eyes with a tissue and turned to Alice.
“Ready to go?”
“Just a minute.” she was pulling on tights and a mini skirt, topped with one of her brother’s little tee shirts.
“Don’t get dressed up, dude, we’re just getting nachos.”
“Whatever.” There it was again. I guess college Alice cared about looking good. I felt like I had to match her, so I changed out of my flannel pj pants into some skinny jeans which made my butt look good. There was a sliver of flesh above the waistband where my small sweatshirt rode up, and I admired my nicely toned stomach a little in the mirror.
“Remind me to call Marcus later.” I said aloud.
“Yep yep.” she tugged her shirt down a bit, and checked herself out in the mirror.
“Ok, Twiggy, enough primping. Your sugar Mama is hungry.”
“Ok, fine, let’s get going.”

No comments: