Friday, November 7, 2008

Four

Kate
I was now decently fucked up, with the addition of THC into my inebriated system. Marcus and I had gone for a walk around the quad, smoking a joint while we strolled. He ended up being a pretty cool guy. He was into photography, mostly black and white. I told him somewhere around the second loop I was gay, and all he said was, “All the good ones are.” I laughed at that, and shoved him a bit.
“Where do those good ones hide, then?” I asked him.
He told me about the Gay Straight Alliance on campus, a group of queer and queer-friendly students. I thought about it for a minute.
“Where do they meet?” I was hesitant, shy for once.
“Uhm, I don’t know, you can check them out at the club fair tomorrow. I’ll go to a meeting with you if you want. I’m queer-friendly. Everyone thinks I’m gay anyways.” He laughed as he exhaled smoke.
“Alice doesn’t, I can tell.”
“Oh really?” he raised an eyebrow.
“She’s cooler than me anyways.” I took the joint he passed.\
“No offense, but I doubt that.” He looked over at me.
“Trust me.”
“Okay…” he trailed off. “So what are your hobbies, Kate? Any secret knitting fetishes?”
“Skateboarding badly, smoking pot with Alice, and being sassy.”
“Oh God, where on earth did you come from?” He was laughing at me, but nice laughter.
“Want to head back?” I poked him in the side. I felt at ease with him even though I barely knew him. Maybe it was the pot and booze, maybe it wasn’t.
“Yeah let’s go.” We walked back through the grass, tossing out at roach.
“What do you take pictures of? Like, severed doll heads and artsy stuff like that?”
“Ha no, thank god. Mostly portraits. I’d love to do yours if you’ll let me.”
“I don’t photograph well. I like to think I’m unphotogenic, but I think I’m really just ugly and no one told me.”
“I bet you photograph great.” He did those eyes at me again, warm and gooey looking.
“Stop flattering me, straight boy.” I rolled my eyes.
“Fine, I was hoping you might just be bisexual or something.” He sighed and shrugged.
“Nope, I plan on majoring in dyke studies, sorry.”
“Can you say that?” he looked suprised
“What?”
“Dyke.” He whispered it, looking around at the group we were approaching.
“I can, you can’t.”
“Gotcha.” He nodded, thinking it over.
I followed Marcus up the stairs, waiting to see if the party picked up. When I walked in I saw Alice dancing with a bunch of girls and I laughed.
“What?” Marcus turned to me.
“Alice doesn’t dance.” I was still chuckling.
“Looks like she does.” He nodded over to her.
“Not very well!” I ran over to the group and started shaking my booty around, mimicking the dances I saw on the music video channel. Blanche started laughing, covering her face as she giggled.
“Woo!” I yelled. I was starting to draw an audience. Alice was dancing with me, flailing her long arms over her head. I attempted to break-dance then, rolling around on the floor aimlessly. People were clapping and catcalling us. I stood up and grabbed Al’s hands, and started spinning her, recalling our days in ballroom dancing class, where we had to dance together because no boys asked us. I took the lead part, and we did some really horrific swingdance moves.
“Can I cut in?” Ellen yelled into my ear. My stomach thrilled at the thought of holding her hands.
“Surely, my lady.” I spun Alice away, and pulled Ellen into a dip. We tangoed around, and I crashed into a bookcase, stumbling.
“You’re fucked up!” she crowed.
“Yes, yes I am.” I got my balance, and dipped her again. People were still watching us. I was holding her close, and I wanted to kiss her so badly. I wished it was as easy to attract girls as it was to attract Marcus. I let Ellen go, and excused myself to the bathroom. I sat on the toilet, the small room spinning around me. Why did I love the straight girls? And was I ready to join a Gay Straight Alliance? Seriously, I thought to myself, who knew college would get so complicated so quickly?

No comments: