Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Alice part 6

“Fuck, Fuck, FUCK.”
“This is becoming a motif in our life.” She tossed a shirt at me. “Wear this one.”
“This one? This one is ugly.”
“You’re ugly.”
“Not helping.”
“I wasn’t trying to. It’s nine twenty, hurry the fuck up…” She drawled and swigged from a water bottle of vodka.
“I have no idea how you can do that. Just drink it straight, ugh.” I tugged a shirt over my head, checking myself out in the mirror.
“I’m part Russian.”
“And part alcoholic.”
“Touché.” She took another gulp.
“Pass that shit, yo.”
“Liquid courage, my friend.”
“I need it. Tell me again what I’m supposed to do?”
“Make out with Aaron.”
“Right. How do I do that?”
“Well, I don’t know, move your mouth around and stick your tongue out is usually what I do but…”
“I mean, get him to kiss me, not how do I literally kiss.”
“Oh right. Well I suppose it should be easy enough: get him drunk and then bend over and shove your tits in his face.”
“You are the least helpful friend imaginable.”
“I know, I really don’t know why you put up with me. I heard a honk, let’s get your slutty little butt downstairs.”
“Bye Mom!”
“Bye girls, tell Mrs. Cartwright hello from me.”
“Yeah, bye.”
“Hello, boys.” Kate said as we crammed in the backseat.
“Sup, beezys.” Mark piped up.
“What does that even mean?” I asked
“Uhm, Hi Girls, loosely translated.” Aaron joked.
“The impenetrable language of hip-hop.” Mark shook his head sadly. “No one understands.”
“Good to see you haven’t gotten normal Mark.” Kate raised her eyebrows at me.
“No, I think it’s safe to say he hasn’t” Aaron laughed.
“Stacy planned a cake-fight for later on tonight, we’re all weird.” I pointed out.
“A cake-fight?” Mark looked awed. This was his first party with the burnouts, stoners, freaks and weirdos.
“And you’re goin’ down, suckaaaa.” Kate threw up a gang sign.
“Who on earth taught you that?”
“My cousin from New York.”
“You cousin is from Long Island.”
“Whatever, I’m badass.”
The boys were cracking up at us, and I was glad someone was there to witness our rapport for once. Usually it was just my brother, and he was too busy being thirteen to care. We pulled up to the party then, and it looked like everyone had come out for the first party of the year. We trekked through the woods next to Stacy's house to “The Camp”, her old garage which we had turned into a party room. It was an old farmhouse deal, so there was a loft upstairs, and plenty of space downstairs.
“Hey guys!” Stacy was wearing a voluminous peasant dress, and looked like she was stoned out of her mind.
Kate and I both hugged her, and then she shook Mark’s hand.
“He’s a junior, and he’s totally weird.” Kate offered.
“Nice! Hey another junior is here, some chick named Olive, you know her?” she looked at Mark.
“Yeah,” he muttered, “I do.” He had a weird look on his face, like he wanted to gag. I guess he didn’t like her or something.
“What do you want? Booze or Drugs or both?” Stacy was always a most accommodating hostess.
“Both.” Kate said.
“How ‘bout that beer, Alice?” Aaron pointed to the case of beer sitting on a table. He passed a kid five bucks, and took two, handing me one. I cracked it open, the foam bubbling up through the hole slightly. I drank it, and felt myself starting to get faded. I liked beer a lot, which sometimes got me in trouble.
“So, Al.” Aaron looked at me. My mind raced frantically for something to say or do.
“Want to make a bet?” I blurted.
“Sure.”
“Loser of the cake fight has to…” I paused, “Streak naked in the woods.”
“You’re on.”
“You’ll regret. You’re too skinny to be naked in public.” I joked.
“No, I’ll win and I get to see you…” He coughed, cutting himself off, and I blushed.
We chatted with everyone else then, keeping a distance because of what he just said. My heart was pounding in my ears. He wanted me. So why couldn’t I just do it? Just practice, right? Even though he was cute and good at skating and kind of smart. And hot. And really hot. And he wanted to see me naked. I pulled Kate aside and recapped.
“Oh man, he wants to see your tits.”
“I know. Do I show him them or just run away naked?”
“You might win the fight.”
“Please, I don’t want to see his pale, skinny butt running around.”
“You want him to see your pale butt?”
“No.”
“You’ve got quite the pickle. And I bet he does too.”
“Sick, Kate, sick.”
“I thought it was funny. Anyway, there’s something I want to talk to you about.”
“Kate focus, I need a plan.” She sighed at me.
“Ok, uhm, just kiss him and he’ll forget about the bet.”
“Sould I kiss him?”
“Alice. You like him. Admit it. He’s not a practice boy, this is for real.”
“Jesus fucking Christ. You are so right. He’s perfect. I am going to fuck this up so badly.”
“Just go over there and kiss him.” She gave me a little shove in his direction where he was in deep conversation with some skater kid named Travis, but he excused himself when he saw me coming.
“Uhm, where’d Mark go?”
“You know, I have no idea.”
“So about this bet…” I paused
“Yeah it’s stupid.”
“Well.” I smiled, “I’m stupid. I do stupid shit all day long.”
“I think you’re funny.”
“Why?”
“Because you’re not…you don’t take yourself too seriously. You’re easy going. You’re like hanging out with my guy friends.” I groaned when he said that.
“That’s the worst. I always, always get told that by guys. Which just means ‘you act too much like a dude for us to think of you as a girl.’”
“I think of you as a girl.”
“Oh.”
Just then the cake fight started. A piece of frosting flew into his face, landing right below his nose. I laughed, and pointed it out to him. He stepped closer to me, his voice growing slightly deeper.
“So get it off.”
I leaned forward and kissed him softly, closemouthed. He pulled me into him, kissing me rougher, opening my lips. I grabbed a piece of cake from the table next to us, and smooshed it on his head. He broke off our kiss, laughing. He looked me in the eyes, frosting clinging to his eyelashes.
“You are so fucking awesome, Alice.”

No comments: