Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chapter Twenty Four

“Holy Shit, Holy Shit.” Yuki was in a fluster, waving her hands in front of her face like my mother did when she was upset.
“We’re going to be fine. Fine! Just fine.” Leo was reassuring her, probably more for her own benefit than Yuki’s. The club was strewn with our magazines, so people could hopefully read them. Worst case, thousands of my parent’s dollars would be trod on when people threw them on the floor. I tried not to think things like that. Yuki had on a long, blonde wig that made her look like an Asian Dolly Parton. Leo was wearing a great paisley vintage dress, and I went with the flapper dress to give me confidence.
“Why is no one here?” Justin seemed worried too.
“Because the invite says ten, and its nine fifty.”
“Right. Right.”
“Everyone calm down!” I was exasperated. I had a good feeling about this; I wanted them to, as well.
The party picked up at ten thirty, with a surprising number of See You staff. Viv couldn’t come, which I was sad about, but her success in rehab was more important than my success tonight.
“Great Job!” Steven pointed to a feature about himself, in the “Dudes We Like” section.
“This part is awesome.” A girl I didn’t know displayed the “Vintage, Modern” fashion spread. Yuki had mixed new pieces with vintage pieces to mimic runway styles, thanks to a great vintage chain we found to sponsor us. The results were surprisingly close, and this girl seemed really pleased.
“Just do it, Jane, you have to.”
“Ugh I hate public speaking guys.”
“But it’s YOUR magazine.”
“Fine.”I walked onstage to give the official launch speech, dreading it with every step.
“Uhm, I’m Jane Tyler, thank you for being here.” The crowd cheered. “I really hate public speaking.” They laughed and I felt encouraged. “This magazine is our baby, so don’t throw it on the floor. And now, welcome The Wake, featuring my lovely boyfriend, Andrew, to the stage. The other guys are single ladies! But then, they’re single for a reason, so don’t get too excited. Thank you again for supporting Lucky Bitch! ” I hurried off stage, into Andrew’s arms.
“Wish me luck, babygirl.”
The boys ran on stage, in their typical fashion.
“This one is for my girlfriend, who I am so proud of I can’t even tell you all enough times. She’s amazing and I love her.” The crowd awww’d appreciatively.
“One two three…Standin’ on the corner…” he started Sweet Jane, our song. I flashed back to the night we met, how far I’d come, how much I’d lost, and what I had gained. I teared up and Yuki grabbed me.
“We did it. Holy shit.”
I started crying hysterically, so happy and proud of myself. I had done something. And not just anything, something big, something to be proud of. I didn’t care if it folded, or if I failed miserably. Tonight I was successful.
Holy Shit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for a happy ending! i am very glad Jane found herself, got away from the drinking and drugs, and is gonna be so successful (i just know she is). This was a great way to wrap up the story, very believable and everything. Good job Mo! Lemme know if/when it actually gets published, i'll totally buy it.