Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chapter Six NEW

"Stayed in every night. Do my homework so I'll be smart. Girls all say I'm a little fucked." Misfits.

The rest of that week, we pushed ourselves to actually study. We even took a night time trip out to the Wellesley library to study.
“Ughhh, remind me why we didn’t go to Smith? They don’t have requirements.” Viv complained, dropping her head on her math book.
“Because Amherst boys are arrogant assholes, and we don’t like vegans. Or nature” I pointed out.
“It’s a toss-up whether vegans or calculus suck more.” Viv responded.
Marie pulled out her water bottle full of mixed gin and tonic. She took a pull, and passed it to Viv.
“I think I’m almost done studying,” I complained.
“We’ve been here two hours, man up, pussy” Marie said
“You’re the one getting drunk in the library, asshole.” I laughed.
“You say that like you’re not going to.”
“Hand me the bottle.” I smiled.


A few days later, James and I were studying together for our respective finals in Modern English Lit. He went to Tufts, but all liberal arts curriculums seemed to overlap enough that it didn’t matter. His apartment was cleaner than ours, and his roommate, an awkward gamer with a pet iguana was out, thankfully. He played Metal and drank his weight in mountain dew, while playing loud video games on the television in the living room
Viv and Marie were pulling an all nighter at the library again, Marie agreeing to help Viv with some math and science studying.
“So you really like this guy?” James was just pretending to read his textbook, I could tell. He was much more interested in my response to his somewhat loaded question.
“I do. I really, just, I don’t know, do.” I felt like I was hurting his feelings, for some reason.
He looked up, his eyebrows raised over his reading glasses. He was smiling slightly, so I relaxed.
“He seems like a good guy, Jane.”
“He is! And he’s so smart and talented and ugh, what could he want with me?” I half laughed
“Jane, what wouldn’t any guy do for you? You, dearest, are whip-smart, witty, and adorably accident prone. You’re like Holly Golightly with a bad case of vertigo.”
“Shut up!” I blushed. He rolled his eyes at me.
“And you do that adorable eyelash bat, look at you, you’re doing it right now, you tease.”
“Shut up and let me quiz you about Stoppard.” I tapped his book with my pencil.
“OH, naughty librarian style. I like it.”
“Ahem, I’m a taken woman, kind of.” I said indignantly with a mock scowl. “There are no seduction attempts of any kind here.”
“Oh I know. Taken by the man in the band. At least they’re good. Not like, brit-pop.”
We both laughed.

No comments: