Monday, October 13, 2008

Two

I pulled into the senior parking lot slowly, lifting my foot off the clutch too soon, causing my car to stall.

“Jesus, careful.” Jane exclaimed.

“Just a minute,” I grumbled. People honked behind me. My parents had given me an ancient sedan, and it was standard. I had been practicing, but smoking a cigarette while shifting happens to be really difficult. I pulled into my assigned spot, which, of course, was one of the farthest from the school.

“This spot sucks.”

“Shut up, Kate.” I ashed my cigarette out the window and yawned.

“Why aren’t you getting out?” she asked.

“I don’t know why aren’t you?”

“I was waiting for you.”

“Well, what if I was waiting for you? Whatever. Anyway, I’m savoring out last moments before school starts. Take ‘em in, Kate.”

“I’m taking, I’m taking, but it smells like shit in here.”

“I’ve been meaning to take out my brothers cross country stuff.”

“I suggest you do.” I flicked my cigarette out the window and unbuckled the seatbelt.

“You know what I was thinking?” Kate asked as we walked across the large lot.

“Haven’t a clue.”

“You need a practice fuck.”

“A what?”

“Some loser who you can practice with and then move on to like, HIM.” She sounded pleased with herself.

“That is retarded.”

“No, we’ll just find someone desperate.”

“Gee, thanks.” I pulled the double doors open for us.

“I’m just saying. Aim low first. This is to boost confidence and skills, not crush your cripplingly low self esteem even more than the rest of our adolescence already has. “I think you had one too many hits this morning.”

“No such thing.”

“Dumbass.”

We settled into our homeroom seats, the last available ones, right at the front. Kate put her head on her desk immediately, and I pulled out a notebook and started doodling, avoiding eye contact with people, so no one asked how my summer was. Caitlin Connors, Kate arch-nemesis leaned over and mock whispered to us.

“You two smell like an ash tray.”

“You smell like my dog when it gets back from the groomers, Caitlin,” Kate said without looking up, “Golden retriever fresh?”

“You are such a bitch.” She rolled her eyes at her friends, who giggled.

“You really are, you know.” I said.

“I know,” Kate responded, picking her head up slightly, “I really am.”

Caitlin wasn’t popular or anything, she was just really self-righteous and had really shiny hair. She and Kate were friends in elementary school, but once Caitlin started campaigning for Just Say No, and Kate started just saying yes, they parted ways. Now, Caitlin tried to embarrass her wherever and whenever possible.

After roll call, we got handed our schedules and compared classes.

“Ugh Mrs. McDonald for English again.” Kate groaned

“Didn’t she call you a waste of oxygen last year?”

“I’m pretty sure it was affectionate.”

“Right. See you at lunch, I guess.”

“Yeah, whatever. Bye.” She ambled away

No comments: